Hives, in medical terms is termed as Urticaria. It is a very itchy, red color rash on skin. It can occur on any part of the body, from face to the legs and arms and may vary in size from millimetres to inches as is mentioned in the website www.oxyhives.org. Any kind allergic and non allergic reaction can result into Hives. Nearly 20% of Children and Adults get infected at some point of time. Hives is categorized in two ways, Chronic and Acute. The Symptoms, causes and the Treatments of bot the categories are different.
· The attack starts with spongy, raised, red welts on skin which develops on a particular part of the body. The welts are slightly itchy and increases in size with time. Sometimes the two of them even combine together which results into a large raised rash.
· Difficulty in swallowing or breathing.
· Rapid or Irregular pulse.
· Increase in anxiety levels.
· Dizziness or fainting spells.
· Loss of consciousness or Blackouts.
When mast cells of the skin releases some chemicals like histamine into the Bloodstream, it results in Hives. Histamine is primarily responsible for the blood vessels of the skin to swell up and leak which results in Rash red welts that are more likely exposed to the attack of Hives.
Causes of Hive
· Hereditary may be an important factor of getting infected by hives.
· Medicinal Allergies.
· Allergies to the string bites of insects like Bees, Ants etc.
· Allergies to food like egg, milk shellfish etc.
· Exposure to moisture for too long time.
· Excessive perspiration.
The most popular among the treatments for getting relieved from hives is an over the counter medicine that comprises of antihistamine. This medication helps fighting against the attack of hives and opposes the histamine release from skin cells which causes the rashes. However, antihistamine tends to carry side effects with them, like drowsiness, more likely in children. Therefore, there are some substitute treatments that can be followed at home, without the risk of side effects. However, not the entire home remedies explained here is scientifically tested, but they have produced good results.
Hives Treatment by Home Remedies
· Application of some cold compress such as ice cubes on the hives infected area can provide some relief from itching and pain. Swelling and Histamine flow in the bloodstream can be decreased to a huge extent by cooling the infected part of the skin. So, if you are infected, you should avoid taking bath in hot water as this may cause the skin to flare up by dilating blood vessels. You should keep the infected area away from coming into contact with direct sunlight.
· Another easy and natural cure for treatment of hives at home is to soak a piece of cotton in magnesia milk and apply this lotion all over the rashes. Magnesia milk is alkaline in nature and thus smoothens the skin and gives a phenomenal relief from pain and itching. In case of unavailability of magnesia milk, a substitute product, Vitamin E oil can be applied for obtaining the same result. Repeating this process for two to three times a day can reduce the ill effect and irritation.
· Mix some baking powder and cornstarch in your bathing water. This calms down the rashes part of the skin and provides an excellent relief against pain.
· The attack of hives causes anxiety and stress; it can be opposed with the help of herbal teas like chamomile or peppermint tea. Such teas possess sedative properties thus can help neutralizing the itching and paining caused due to hives. Stress killing activities like meditation and yoga have also relieved people all around the globe.
· Oils with sandalwood contents have proven effective against the itching problem caused due to rash building as the sandalwood oils are cold by nature. It cools down the skin and reduces the pain as well. Sandalwood oil can be applied over the rash every two to three hours for rapid results.
· Like Sandalwood oils, Mint oil also cools down the infected skin and minimizes pain and swelling. Take few fresh mint leaves, soak them into the water and than freeze them to for ice cubes and massage with those cubes on the infected area can provide a huge relief. However, direct application of ice over skin can cause some other skin problems, therefore, the ice cubes should positively be wrapped inside a cloth.